Skip to content.

TUD

search  |  internal  |  deutsch
Personal tools
TU Dresden » Faculty of Mechanical Science and Engineering » Institute for Materials Science » Chair of Materials Science and Nanotechnology

dresden - florence by the elbe

"The city of Dresden [...] belongs to the most exquisite cities in Germany Her location is beautiful and enchanting . [...] She lies in a graceful valley through which flows the majestic Elbe, and is sorrounded by wooded slopes, and the most attractive and fruitful vineyards." [C. W. Dassdorf, 1782]

dresden - history

An ancient Slavic settlement known as Drezdany ("alluvial forest dwellers") on the northern bank of the river was joined in 1206 by a German town on the southern bank, the heart of the present day Altstadt ("old town"), while the Slavic part is called Neustadt ("new town"). The founder of the city was Dietrich, Margrave of Meissen. [more]

dresden - cultural life

Dresden is attempting to take up its old cultural importance among the European cities that it had from the 19th century to the 1920s when it was a centre of fine and visual arts, of architecture and music. [more]

dresden - external links

last modified: 2017.02.20 Mo
author: webadmin

contact
Prof. Dr. Gianaurelio Cuniberti
secretariat:
Ms Sylvi Katzarow
phone: +49 (0)351 463-31420
fax: +49 (0)351 463-31422
office@nano.tu-dresden.de
postal address:
Institute for Materials Science
TU Dresden
01062 Dresden, Germany
visitors and courier address:
HAL building
TU Dresden
Hallwachsstr. 3
01069 Dresden, Germany
Max Bergmann Center
TU Dresden
Budapester Str. 27
01069 Dresden, Germany